Monday, July 13, 2015

The WHY

For a while now Russell has been telling me I should start a blog. The problem is, I don’t like blogs, or most bloggers for that matter. I don’t believe them. I think they have a lot of un-truth. We see only what the author wants us to see, which is usually their best, most successful attempt. We don’t see the trial and error that lead up to this success. We are essentially being sold.

That being said, as our family has embarked on a new adventure, that is Chicago, I don’t want to forget the lessons I am learning, the growth we are making and the experiences we are having. So, I’ve decided to blog about it!

Post #1: The WHY.

Let’s flashback to the beginning of 2014. I was about six months pregnant with Ada and had spent those six months with hyperemesis gravidarum; I threw up a lot. Russell was working at The Optic Gallery and taking a few classes, and Rex was a busy 2-year-old. We owned a cute home in Henderson, Nevada which we loved and had poured our heart and soul into fixing up. Russell had applied to Optometry school in the late fall of 2013 and we were currently receiving denial letters. Henderson is sunny, but our world was dark. Although my mental health had improved since my pregnancy with Rex, I had a long way to go. All I wanted to do was go home. I hadn’t lived in Washington, except for summers off during college, for 10 years. So, we put our house on the market, had our baby and moved home.

Ada was just five weeks old when we moved. Cherry harvest was in full boar and Russell landed a job in a warehouse. He worked long, miserable hours, nearing 100 per week sometimes while I stayed home with a colicky baby and chased our toddler.

That summer we worked together filling our applications to 10 Optometry schools around the country, focusing mainly on the west-coast so we could be near family. Our number one choice was Western College of Health Science in Pamona, California, just about an hour away from Russell’s parents. Time passed s l o w l y as we awaited word from any of the schools. Summer was coming to a close and still, nothing. We had felt very directed in Russell’s pursuit of Optometry. I had never seen him so passionate about his future. And then it came, an interview invitation from Western.  Then one from Chicago, Arizona, and Tennessee.

Chicago’s acceptance arrived first. It came in the mail and the envelope was thick, it felt promising. I called Russell, and he said “open it!” My eyes raced across the page and I saw “pleased” and “accepted.” To say we were thrilled was an understatement. But, Chicago was so far away from home.

We heard back from Western, and sure enough, he was accepted there too. As I was awake nursing our then 7-month-old one night I couldn’t get the idea of Chicago out of my head. We had wanted California so badly. At one point I thought it was the only place I would go. When I discussed it with Russell the next day he had Chicago stuck in his head too. The school has a great program, high board passing rates, a private practice club, highly esteemed professors, an excellent clinic BUT it’s in Chicago.


So, after hours and hours of discussion, prayers, temple attendance, and the overwhelming sense of peace through it all, we accepted the invitation from Illinois College of Optometry. All other interview invitations were canceled or declined. The decision was made. We were in.

Now to enjoy the rest of our time in Washington. With family. H O M E.

No comments: